Want To Be A Citizen Of The United States? 3 Benefits Of Hiring An Immigration Attorney

Posted on: 28 October 2018

If you want to become a citizen of the United States, you should not try to do things on your own. If you do, your citizenship may be denied. Instead, you should hire an immigration attorney like those at The Ortiz Law Firm. To help you decide, below are three benefits of doing this.

Help You Fill Out and Submit Paperwork

To become a citizen, you will have to fill out a lot of paperwork. It is very important that the paperwork is filled out correctly. If English is not your first language, you may struggle to understand some of the language used on the paperwork. Because of this, you will likely make mistakes that would hurt your case.

The immigration attorney knows how every question on the paperwork must be answered. The attorney will also know the right paperwork that you need and who to submit it to. For example, you will have to fill out an application for American citizenship, an application for Naturalization, and much more. Not only do you need to fill the paperwork correctly, but you make sure you are filling out are the right forms to use.

Supporting documents are also needed, and the attorney can hep you with this. You will also be required to pay a fee along with the documents.

Help You if You Marry a United States Citizen

If you were married to a non-citizen, you divorce this person, and you then try to alter your status based on a second marriage to a United States citizen, this can look bad on you. This is because the immigration office will likely think you are marrying someone that is already a citizen just so you can become one.

Your immigration attorney will know how the immigration office will determine if your marriage is a sham or not, such as by asking you and your spouse certain questions. This will help the immigration office to know that your marriage is real. 

Obtain a Work Permit

The process of becoming a United States citizen can be a long one, and you need to make an income while you are waiting. In order to do this you need to obtain a work permit. The official name for this permit is an Employment Authorization. If you are already married to a U.S. citizen, however, you likely already filed for a work permit when you filled out paperwork for your green card application. Your attorney can check on this for you.

Your immigration attorney will also know the exact steps you need to take, such as the paperwork you must fill out and who to submit it to. This will improve your chances of obtaining your work permit.

Talk with an immigration attorney in your area to learn much more about these three benefits, as well as other benefits the attorney can offer you.


Staying In The Country That I Love

As soon as I moved to the United States, I knew I wanted to stay forever. I absolutely loved the environment and the motivation that other people had to succeed. I was able to find a job that paid much better than different places back home, which made me want to do my best to become a citizen. Unfortunately, the process was more difficult than I anticipated. I worked hard to earn my citizenship, but ultimately I needed the help of an attorney to stay. This blog is designed to help other immigrants learn how to stick around, so that you can chase the American dream.