What You Should Know About Getting A Fiance Visa

Posted on: 22 March 2021

If you are currently in the United States and are thinking about bringing a fiance from Japan, you may have considered all types of scenarios. You might have heard about K1 and K3 visas, but how do you know which option is right for your situation?

While a Japanese immigration lawyer can be helpful in your situation, there are a few things you need to know. These tips will help you.

What Is a K-1 Visa?

A K-1 visa is designed for bringing a fiance to the United States from another country, like Japan. This visa allows an American to bring a fiance and the fiance's children to the U.S.

In order to qualify for this visa, you must demonstrate that you have met your fiance and plan to marry within 90 days of your fiance's arrival in the country. Of course, both parties must not be legally married to other individuals

In order to qualify for this kind of visa, the immigrating party will have to undergo an interview where they discuss the relationship and intent to move to the United States.

What Is a K-3 Visa?

You can apply for a K-3 visa if you have a spouse in another country who wants to come to the United States to be with you. Once your spouse arrives, they may apply to become a permanent resident of the country.

Choosing between the two types of visas can be difficult, and it is important that you consult with a professional lawyer so that you can make the best decision for yourself and your fiance or spouse.

Who Can Bring a Fiance to the United States?

It is important to know that you can only bring a fiance to the United States if you are a U.S. citizen. You cannot bring a fiance to the United States if you are a permanent resident without citizenship.

What Issues Can Impact the Visa Process?

An immigration legal professional can help you determine which specific issues in your case can impact your visa process. In most cases, issues like criminal convictions and lack of evidence of a bona fide relationship can impact your visa's approval.

Consult With an Immigration Attorney

An immigration attorney can help you determine which kind of visa is most suitable for your situation. Make an appointment to consult with an attorney today to learn more about your options for bringing a loved one to the United States.

To learn more, contact a resource like a Japanese immigration lawyer.


Staying In The Country That I Love

As soon as I moved to the United States, I knew I wanted to stay forever. I absolutely loved the environment and the motivation that other people had to succeed. I was able to find a job that paid much better than different places back home, which made me want to do my best to become a citizen. Unfortunately, the process was more difficult than I anticipated. I worked hard to earn my citizenship, but ultimately I needed the help of an attorney to stay. This blog is designed to help other immigrants learn how to stick around, so that you can chase the American dream.